This job position belongs to General Labour occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the General Labour occupation skills matrix.
This position is required to safely and effectively perform a variety of skilled duties in the Sewer and Drainage Operations branch including operating sewer scraper machines and assisting with catch basin cleaning, Sewerjet/Hydrovac, manhole/catch basin rebuilding, CCTV inspection, lift stations and sewer connection servicing operations. This position typically reports to a Coordinator, Engineering Assistant or Crew Lead.
Typical duties include:
- Perform skilled duties in maintaining the wastewater and drainage systems.
- Operate sewer scraper machines and maintain storm channels.
- Assist in the operation of catch basin cleaning/Sewerjet/Hydrovac equipment, manhole/catch basin rebuilding, CCTV inspection program, the maintenance of lift stations and the sewer connection servicing (Trouble Truck) program.
- Supervise small crews and perform manual cleaning of lift station wet wells, manholes, catch basins and storm channels.
- Train employees assigned as helpers.
- Effectively perform work as instructed including reporting, documentation and record keeping components.
- Provide and maintain written and electronic reports/documentation as required.
- Follow all rules and regulations as set out in the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act, City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual and National Safety Code.
- Maintain good working relationships with fellow workers, supervisors and the general public.
- Perform related work as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- Typically Grade Twelve (12) or General Education Development (GED) equivalency.
- Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are obtained through a minimum of 4000 hours experience as a semi-skilled labourer or acting skilled labourer in sewer and drainage operations and maintenance.
- Conversant knowledge, ability and experience in the cleaning, maintenance, operation and inspection of surface drainage infrastructure, sewer mains, sewer connections, lift stations and other sewer assets.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use, read and understand procedures, instructions, drawings, documentation and work plans.
- Knowledge and ability to perform confined space entry work in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with minimal supervision while following both verbal and written instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to operate sewer scraper machines, roto-rooter and connection camera equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to assist manhole/catch basin rebuilding, catch basin cleaning and Sewerjet/Hydrovac operations.
- Demonstrated ability to use hand tools and equipment to perform work meeting quality and productivity requirements.
- Basic computer skills including familiarity with the Microsoft Office software.
- Demonstrated skills to establish and maintain effective working relations and a respectful work environment with superiors, subordinates, co-workers, and the general public.
- Demonstrated ability to listen, understand and respond to public and internal inquiries/concerns in an acceptable and respectful manner.
- Demonstrated ability to perform heavy work of a physical nature on a daily basis over sustained periods and inclement conditions.
- Ability to train other employees as required.
- Ability to take courses and training as provided by the City of Regina to improve employee’s abilities and move towards operating equipment or supervision as required.
- Ability to interpret, understand and manage work in accordance with the general rules and regulations of the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act, other legislation, and expectations of City of Regina’s policies, standards, practices and guidelines.
- Ability to learn and run new equipment and complete required certifications.
- Ability to effectively complete work reports and staff time sheets.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 License with the ability to upgrade to a Class 1 License with an air endorsement.
- Must be able and willing to obtain the necessary permits and certifications to operate sewer and drainage operation equipment within 90 days of the start date.
- Must be able and willing to perform work of a physical nature in field environments and inclement conditions.
- Must be physically fit to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position and have the ability to lift and carry weights up to 45kg on a daily basis.
- Must have or be willing to obtain training/certification in confined space entry, WHMIS, First Aid and CPR.
- May be required to work shift work and/or irregular hours.
- Respond to call-outs and emergencies as required.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
*Note: As per the City of Regina Criminal Record Check policy, the above position has been identified as a “position of trust”. Successful candidates will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check.
Division: Citizen Services
Department: Water, Waste & Environmental Services
Salary Grade: CUPE Local 21 - 1D
Salary: $24.19 - $24.82/Hour; $50,067 - $51,371/Annum
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.