This job position belongs to General Labour occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the General Labour occupation skills matrix.
This position safely and effectively performs a variety of semi-skilled duties in the Sewer and Drainage Operations branch including maintaining storm channels, assisting with the operation of sewer scraper machines and assisting with the general operation and maintenance of wastewater and drainage systems. This position typically reports to an Engineering Assistant, Crew Lead or Coordinator.
Typical duties include:
- Perform semi-skilled duties in operating and maintaining the wastewater and drainage systems.
- Removal of debris from storm channels, catch basin grates, culverts, outfalls and other storm water management assets.
- Perform general yard maintenance at lift stations and work sites as directed.
- Assist with the operation of sewer scraper machines, sewerjets and catch basin cleaners.
- Assist in the cleaning of lift station wet wells.
- Removal and replacement of material when rebuilding of manholes and catch basins.
- Removal of debris and covers to provide access to survey and inspect wastewater and drainage systems.
- Excavating trenches by hand and re-establishing drainage paths.
- Load, unload and set up equipment.
- Maintain good working relationships with fellow workers and supervisors.
- Follow all rules and regulations as set out in the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual and Water Distribution Unit policies and procedures.
- Perform related work as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- Typically grade twelve (12) or General Education Development (GED) equivalency.
- Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are obtained through a minimum of 2000 hours as a general labourer in sewer and drainage operations and maintenance or a related field.
- Knowledge of the techniques and practices used in the operation, maintenance and inspection of wastewater and drainage assets.
- Demonstrated ability to acquire a sound, general understanding of the wastewater and drainage systems.
- Skill in the use and care of common tools required to perform the duties of this position.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to provide verbal or written reports on work performed.
- Demonstrated ability to perform heavy work of a physical nature on a daily basis over sustained periods and inclement conditions.
- Ability to perform confined space entry work in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety regulations.
- Ability to interpret, understand and manage work in accordance with the general rules and regulations of the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act, other legislation, and expectations of City of Regina’s policies, standards, practices and guidelines
- Demonstrated skills to establish and maintain effective working relations and a respectful work environment with superiors, subordinates, co-workers, and the general public.
- Demonstrated ability to listen, understand and respond to public and internal inquiries/concerns in an acceptable and respectful manner.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 driver’s license. A Class 1 driver’s license with an air endorsement is an asset.
- Must obtain Wastewater Collection Certification (Level 1) within one year of hire.
- Must have or obtain training/certification in confined space entry, WHMIS, First aid and CPR.
- Must be physically fit, able and willing to perform work of a physical nature in field environments and inclement conditions.
- Must be able and willing to work in contact with raw or partially treated wastewater in varying environmental conditions.
- May be required to work shift work and/or irregular hours.
- Respond to call-outs and emergencies as required.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
*Note: In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Division: Citizen Services
Department: Water Waste & Environmental Services
Salary Grade: CUPE Local 21 – 1B
Salary: $22.94 - $23.57/Hour; $47,480 - $48,783/Annum
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.