This job position belongs to the General Labour occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the General Labour occupation skills matrix.
This position performs operational inspections and assessments of sewer utility infrastructure, operating specialized equipment and software. The position is responsible for the documentation, input and management of records, interpretation of results, and the operational evaluation of the sewer utility infrastructure. The position typically reports to a Schedule C Supervisor.
Typical duties include:
- Operate inspection equipment and assessment systems for determining the condition of sewer infrastructure.
- Utilize mobile camera unit, mobile hoists, remote operated camera crawlers, video and still cameras, etc.
- Identify and evaluate defects, connections, appurtenances and system fouling by way of on site data gathering and assessment of the sewer infrastructure.
- Develop work packages, collect, input and review assessment information.
- Develop, monitor and securely manage databases to produce reports, written document, generate work plans and make recommendations for the operational safety and performance of sewer utility infrastructure.
- Maintain, repair and set-up camera equipment and associated apparatus.
- Troubleshoot mechanical and electrical problems and affect repairs with sewer inspection equipment.
- Read and interpret drawings, specifications and plans to ensure City standards and requirements are met.
- Interpret and communicate specifications, drawings, diagrams, manuals, work orders and city policies and standards.
- Direct, supervise and coach other employees on sewer system inspection operations and the necessary documentation to monitor and manage performance.
- Provide direction to heavy equipment operators performing pre-inspection cleaning of underground sewer infrastructure.
- Follow all rules and regulations as set out in the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual and standard operating procedures with respect to water and sewer safety, operations, construction and maintenance.
- Ensure compliance of personnel, equipment, materials at work sites to meet Provincial Occupation Health and Safety Act, City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual, City of Regina Standard and Emergency Operating Procedures and legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Perform related work as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
- Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are obtained through the completion of Grade Twelve (12) and three (3) years of experience working in Sewer and Drainage Operations, including a minimum of 1000 hours as a sewer camera operator or 2000 hours as a helper on camera operations coupled with a computer user background.
- Must have the ability to obtain the Pipeline Assessment and Certification Program accreditation.
- Must have the ability to obtain Confined Space Entry and H2S Certification.
- Must obtain necessary permits and certifications to operate sewer and drainage equipment coupled with the necessary certifications as required.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Driver's License.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively operate window based operating systems and office productivity software.
- Knowledge of sewer system inspection software.
- Demonstrated ability to configure and securely maintain written and digital records.
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical and electrical equipment and ability to diagnose defects, to utilize maintenance manuals and parts lists to affect repairs using tools and external services.
- Diverse knowledge of water and sewer design, materials, construction, preservation and operations.
- Knowledge of supervisory and leadership principles and practices.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of sewer systems.
- Demonstrated ability to operate sewer and drainage equipment efficiently and safely.
- Demonstrated ability to make technical and business computations, compilations, estimates, analysis, and evaluations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to plan, coordinate and direct the work of others.
- Skill to express ideas effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships.
WORKING / OTHER CONDITIONS:
- Valid NASSCO PACP/LACP/MACP certification is considered an asset
- Must obtain Wastewater Collection Certification Level 1 within one year of hire.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
*Note: In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Division: Citizen Services
Department: Water, Waste & Environmental Services
Salary Grade: Local 21 – 2E
Salary: $24.99 - $27.82/hour; $51,722 - $57,580/annum
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.