This job position belongs to General Labour occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the General Labour occupation skills matrix.
This position performs duties related to the control of waste disposal at the Landfill as well as maintenance of the Landfill site.
Typical duties include:
- Controls and directs traffic at landfill
- Monitors and checks loads for unauthorized material and ensures that material to be disposed is properly classified.
- Ensures that related City Regulations are followed.
- Performs general housekeeping including the maintenance of grounds and fences.
- Performs various duties to support and facilitate resource recovery.
- Assists in the training of other employees as required. Assists operators in maintenance of heavy equipment.
- Relieves Weigh Scale Attendant as required.
- Operates and maintains Class II equipment as assigned.
- Follow all rules, procedures and regulations as set out in the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are obtained through a Grade 12 or GED with a minimum of 2,000 hours experience in solid waste or related field
- Must obtain the Landfill Basics course.
- Knowledge of the general rules and regulations regarding the operation of the Landfill Site.
- Knowledge of the general rules and regulations of the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act, National Safety Code and the City of Regina Occupational Health & Safety Manual
- Ability to provide clear and concise reports both in oral and written form.
- Ability to perform manual labour in all types of weather.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to operate equipment identified as Class II and used in the performance of Landfill Operations.
- Ability to take courses and training as provided by the City of Regina to improve employee’s abilities and move towards operating Class III equipment as required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors and other employees.
- Ability to work effectively, courteously and tactfully with the general public. Ability to effectively deal with sensitive issues and confrontational situations.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence
- Must obtain the necessary permits and certifications to operate Class II equipment and all necessary equipment certifications when required.
- May be required to work shift work and/or irregular hours.
- Must be able and willing to perform work of a physical nature in field environments and inclement conditions.
- Candidates must participate in training and be willing and able to complete recognized certification programs and courses to perform the work and maintain status.
- Respond to call-outs and emergencies as required.
- Clear criminal record check is required.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
*Note: In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Division: Citizen Services
Department: Water, Waste & Environmental Services - Landfill Operations
Salary Grade: 1C - CUPE Local 21
Salary: $23.81 - $24.43/hour; $49,280 - $50,563/annum
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.