As per the Saskatchewan Water and Wastewater Certification Standards 2002, “An Operator is a person who daily performs activities primarily consisting of controlling the collection network, which affects the quality of the wastewater and the reliability of wastewater collection system and its appurtenances.”
This position is responsible to undertake the operating, and monitoring responsibilities for Wastewater and Stormwater Collection Lift Stations within the Sewer and Drainage Operations Branch. The position ensures the compliance of environmental regulatory legislative and protection standards, process and maintenance policies and procedures on a daily basis. This position typically reports to a Schedule C Supervisor or Lead Lift Station Operator.
Typical duties include:
- Operate Wastewater Collection Lift Stations including McCarthy Boulevard Pump Station in accordance with the standard operating procedures and the permit to operate Wastewater Collection facilities.
- Monitor various Storm Water Detention ponds within the city during storm events to ensure the safety of public and property.
- Utilize the full functionality of the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) control system to ensure secure and optimum unit performance and quality.
- Perform shutdown, start-up and adjustment in plant operations.
- Inspect, assess, and monitor facilities and equipment operation making adjustments, performing routine maintenance, together with executing contingency and emergency response actions as needed.
- Assist with the collection of samples of wastewater at various locations to assess performance of particular Lift Station operations or in emergency bypass events.
- Assist with the documentation of operational events for regulatory compliance and prepare written reports.
- Provide training, supervision and leadership to ensure operational projects and services are carried out efficiently, effectively, respectfully and safely, in accordance with legislation, policies, practices and standards.
- Operate Equipment Schedule III equipment as required.
- Perform related duties as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- Grade 12 or General Educational Development (GED) and successful completion of a minimum of four relevant post secondary educational courses (i.e. engineering mathematical, computer or business) (Grade Twelve courses involving Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus, Statistics, Chemistry, Computers, Accounting or Physics will be considered equivalent to post secondary educational courses).
- A minimum of 2 years experience in a related water and sewer engineering/technical field, comprised with a minimum of 1 year of operational/field experience in Sewer and Drainage.
- Must possess and maintain the Saskatchewan Wastewater Collection Class II Operator’s Certificate in accordance with the Saskatchewan Water and Wastewater Certification Standards 2002 prior to the completion of the probationary period.
- Diverse knowledge of the equipment, operational processes, standards and protocols utilized in Class IV Sewage Collection facilities.
- Knowledge of applicable rules and regulations of the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the expectations of City of Regina’s policies, standards, practices and guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to perform technical and business computations, compilations, estimates, analysis and evaluations.
- Skills to converse effectively in both oral and written communication.
- Ability to provide instruction, training and undertake lead-hand supervision of others.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors and other employees.
- Demonstrated ability to operate computer equipment and office productivity software to analyze data and prepare operational reports.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 License and obtain a Class 1A license prior to the completion of the probationary period.
- Must obtain the necessary permits and certifications to operate wastewater collection equipment and all necessary Operator III equipment certifications when required.
- Candidates must participate in training and be willing and able to complete recognized certification programs and courses to perform the work and maintain status.
- Will be required to work from variable bases of operation. (i.e. Wastewater Collection Lift Stations, McCarthy Boulevard Pump Station and/or other designated bases).
- Must be able and willing to perform work of a physical nature in all types of plants, field environments, inclement conditions (Confined Spaces) and possible emergency rescue.
- Must be willing to be on call after hours, work overtime, work shifts and/or irregular hours.
- Respond to call outs and emergencies as required.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
*Note: In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Division: Citizen Services
Department: Water, Waste and Environmental Services
Salary Grade: CUPE Local 21 – 2G
Salary: $27.10 - $30.18/Hour; $56,090 - $62,464/Annum
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.