This job position belongs to Engineer & Related Services occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the Engineer & Related Services occupation skills matrix.
This is a Full Time Casual position of up to one (1) year
This position is responsible for providing exceptional customer service to internal and external customers in the interpretation, administration and enforcement of zoning bylaw regulations. This position is the primary contact for coordinating appropriate enforcement action for zoning related matters, which may include conducting thorough and detailed site inspections. The position provides accurate and timely zoning information and undertakes comprehensive reviews of proposed developments. This position reports to a Senior City Planner.
Typical duties include:
- Provide technical advice, interpretations and administration for the general public, appropriate Boards, lawyers, financial companies, architects, contractors and various civic departments on matters related to the effective compliance of municipal zoning bylaws and related regulations.
- Initiate and conduct on-site inspections to ensure compliance with municipal bylaws and related regulations for landscaping, zoning orders, development permits, sign permits, and zoning complaints.
- Liaise with the City’s Bylaw Enforcement Branch to coordinate enforcement actions and initiate prosecutions and assist the City Prosecutor’s Office in cases where voluntary compliance is unable to be achieved.
- Prepare detailed correspondence and reports and maintains organized files pertaining Development Permit and Building Permit applications, bylaw interpretations and zoning bylaw compliance and enforcement.
- Represent and/or assist the department at the Regina Development Appeals Board and Provincial Board meetings and maintains records of these meetings and decisions made.
- Facilitate and attend meetings relevant to zoning issues with other civic departments, local associations, architects, contractors and the general public.
- Review drawings and approve residential, industrial and commercial plans to ensure compliance to zoning bylaws and regulations.
- Performs related work as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
***To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtain them in your application/resume***
- Typically, the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position require a two (2) year diploma in Architectural Technology or educational equivalent combined with four (4) years related experience working in a development or planning field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the City of Regina Zoning Bylaw and regulations, as well as relevant sections of other applicable civic and provincial bylaws and statutes.
- Knowledge of current building construction and landscape design methods.
- Knowledge of City street names and locations.
- Knowledge of safe working procedures and practices related to the work assigned.
- Knowledge of proper investigative and interviewing techniques, rules of evidence and court processes.
- Ability to interpret and enforce civic bylaws, regulations and relevant sections of applicable provincial statutes ensuring consistency of application.
- Ability to understand and interpret drawings, plans and specifications in order to recognize deviations from the Zoning Bylaw.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective and co-operative working relationships and facilitate dialogue and communication with a variety of stakeholders such as fellow employees, City Administration and Council, contractors, business and industry, special interest groups, government agencies and the general public.
- Ability to communicate ideas and concepts effectively in oral and written form to a variety of audiences including formal public presentations, written reports and one on one dialogue.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement with a view to enforcing regulations with firmness, assertiveness, impartiality and using principles of ethical conduct.
- Ability to work with considerable independence demonstrating sound decision making, time management and organizational skills, problem analysis, conflict resolution and mediation skills.
- Ability to use windows-based software programs such as word processing, spreadsheets and e-mail.
- Must possess a valid Saskatchewan driver's license and have the use of a vehicle available (a kilometre reimbursement is provided).
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
*Note: In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Division: City Planning & Community Development
Department: Planning and Development Services
Salary Grade: 12 (Local 7)
Salary: $27.98 - $35.71/Hour; $53,377 - $68,085/Annum
The City of Regina Values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates
We will contact applicants we wish to consider within six weeks of the competition closing date. All applicants are thanked for their interest