This position operates heavy mobile and stationary equipment in the Roadway Operations Branch of the Citizen Services division. The position carries out assignments where emphasis is placed on superior operating skill and where errors in judgement may be costly, difficult to rectify and may involve personal hazard to others. This position is responsible for daily maintenance of assigned equipment and may also be required to train other employees in the operation of Class III equipment. This position typically reports to the Supervisor, Field Operations.
Typical duties include:
- Operate all Roadway Operations III equipment, safely, efficiently and effectively including rubber tired tractor backhoes, crawler dozer, front-end loaders, street sweepers, portapatchers, semi-tractor/trailer units, tandem snow-plow, and other designated Class III equipment.
- Perform routine inspection, maintenance and minor repairs as are necessary to ensure equipment is kept in good operating condition.
- Perform heavy work of a physical nature on a daily basis over sustained periods and inclement conditions
- Direct, supervise, and train other employees as required.
- Follow all rules, procedures and regulations as set out in the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual.
- Perform related duties as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
Typically, the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are obtained through a minimum of 2000 hours’ experience as an equipment Operator II and the demonstrated ability to operate Roadway Operations Class III equipment competently.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation, care, mechanics and routine maintenance involved in the operation and routine maintenance of Roadway Operations Class III equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of methods and procedures associated with various construction and maintenance activities in Roadways Operations
- Ability to apply the general rules and regulations of the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Ability to direct and supervise other employees who may be assigned as helpers
- Demonstrated ability to perform heavy work of a physical nature on a daily basis over sustained periods and inclement conditions
- Ability and initiative to work independently with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to follow verbal or written orders to understand work orders, work procedure manuals, construction specifications, detour plans, etc.
- Ability to assist in training other employees in the operation, servicing, maintenance and care of equipment
- Ability to provide written reports on the work they have completed and document any problems that were encountered
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments
- Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with the general public
- Ability to operate assigned equipment with skill and efficiency with due regard to safety measures which must be observed to protect both the public and fellow employees.
- Ability to physically perform the duties of this position.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of methods, procedures, maintenance and operation associated with the various linear systems in Sewer and Drainage Operations.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Driver’s License with the ability to obtain a Class 1 License with an “A” Endorsement, and obtain other training qualifications and certifications as deemed necessary for the position by management. The Class 1A Driver’s license is a requirement of this position and must be obtained prior to the completion of the probationary period.
- Willing to be on call, work shift and/or irregular hours
- Must be able and willing to perform work of a physical nature in field environments and inclement conditions.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education*
**In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment. **
Division: Citizen Services
Department: Roadways & Transportation – Roadway Capital Operations
Salary Grade: CUPE Local 21 – 1F
Salary: $25.83 - $26.45/Hour; $53,461 - $54,744/Annum (2019 Rates)
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.
We will contact applicants we wish to consider within six weeks of the competition closing date. All applicants are thanked for their interest.