This job position belongs to Building Maintenance - Custodial occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the Building Maintenance - Custodial occupation skills matrix.
This position performs heavy duty cleaning and general facility maintenance in various recreation centers, City Hall and Engineering and Works Yard facilities. This position is under the general supervision of the Foreman of Facilities Operations.
*NOTE: (1) Will be required to work varying shifts. (2) This competition will remain opened until filled.
Typical duties include:
- Perform all required facility janitorial duties.
- Monitor furnaces, hot water heaters, air handling equipment and report any mechanical problems to supervisor.
- Perform minor building maintenance and repairs.
- Ensure chemical-based cleaning agents are handled, applied and stored safely according to health and safety requirements.
- Respond to facilities-related service requests that include but are not limited to furniture moves, room set up, and receiving deliveries.
- Ensure general building maintenance and cleaning records are up to date and accurate, including recording shift activities.
- Perform general grounds maintenance including sweeping, collecting litter, and snow removal.
- Ensure equipment and supplies are attended to and accounted for and stock levels are adequate.
- Ensure assigned facility and offices are maintained and secure.
- Follow rules and regulations as set out in the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual.
- Perform related duties as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- Typically, the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform this position are obtained through completion of Grade Ten (10) or GED equivalent, combined with caretaking experience.
- Will be required to obtain certification on the one-man lift (Recreation Facilities).
- Work assignments will be determined subject to qualifications.
- Thorough knowledge of janitorial work to perform routine caretaking services efficiently and effectively.
- Knowledge of safe handling and storage techniques for various chemical-based cleaning agents.
- Knowledge of the general rules and regulations of the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual.
- Ability to maintain offices and buildings in a clean and satisfactory condition.
- Ability to safely and effectively operate a variety of maintenance and janitorial equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, courteously, and responsibly with co-workers, City of Regina staff at all levels of the organization, elected officials and the general public.
- Ability to physically perform caretaking duties including lifting, bending, stooping, climbing ladders and working at heights.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and prioritize work assignments, demonstrating sound judgement and decision making skills in all situations including during emergencies.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Driver’s License and have the means and ability to travel within the City of Regina (kilometre reimbursement is provided).
- Must be able to physically perform the duties of the position.
- This position will be required to work shift work.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
*Note: In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Division: City Planning & Community Development
Department: Facilities Operations
Salary Grade: (CUPE Local 21)
Salary: As a casual labourer, your base wage will be $16.34 per hour, however, the successful candidate will be paid for work performed which typically is $19.06 per hour.
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.