This job position belongs to Skilled Trades occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the Skilled Trades occupation skills matrix.
Help keep Regina’s fleet running smoothly! The City of Regina is currently looking for two (2) Truck and Transport Technician’s to work in the Heavy Truck shop.
If you are seeking a career not just a job we offer the following: stability, safe work environment, paid training, manageable workload and advancement opportunities.
This position is responsible for performing journeyperson duties in the mechanical service, maintenance and repair of all types of vehicles, and allied equipment. Journeypersons in the Bus and Coach trade may also be considered. This position reports to the Trades Coordinator.
*If a qualified Journeyperson cannot be secured, the City of Regina may consider Apprentices who are nearest to obtaining their Journeyperson status.
*NOTE: This competition will remain open until filled.
Typical duties include:
- Inspects, maintains, overhauls, and services all types of Truck and Transport units, specialized bodies, and other associated equipment.
- Performs assessments and/or conduct tests to determine vehicle problems.
- Performs repairs to all vehicle/equipment systems (hydraulics, diesel/gas engines including injection systems, manual transmissions, drive lines, cooling, electrical, etc.)
- Assesses condition of vehicle parts and components and submits replacement order lists.
- Conducts operational and/or road testing of completed repairs and final adjustments to meet equipment performance standards.
- Trains, assists and supervises other tradespersons including apprentices as required.
- Performs related work as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- The knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are obtained through completion of a Journeyperson Certificate or 2nd, 3rd or 4th level in the Truck and Transport Trade, combined with a minimum of two (2) years of experience in the aforementioned trade. Bus and Coach experience will be considered at the Journeyperson level.
- Training and experience in Heavy Duty Transmissions, Heavy Duty Diesel Engine, mobile hydraulics, diagnostics and Electrical systems is preferred.
- Knowledge of fuel, electrical, hydraulic, lubricating, cooling, ignition, injection, transmission and differential systems.
- Knowledge of diesel and gasoline engine systems.
- Ability to effectively use all testing and diagnostic equipment.
- Ability to perform difficult mechanical repairs without technical direction or supervision.
- Ability to read and interpret related technical information and complete required reports.
- Ability to direct, train and provide support to other Tradespersons and apprentices.
- Ability to plan and organize work, along with communicating effectively in oral and written form.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, team members, co-workers, suppliers and the general public.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team exercising sound judgement and decision making.
- Able to perform work of a physical nature in all types of weather conditions.
- Demonstrated skill to accurately diagnose and repair mechanical defects in all types of Truck, Transport and allied equipment.
- Must possess a set of mechanic’s tools as required in the trade.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Driver’s License, a 3A would be considered an assest.
- The employee will be required to work both inside and outside year round. Shift work will be required.
- May be assigned to work in any of the following functional areas of mechanics: Heavy Truck, Heavy Equipment, Light Fleet and the Agricultural/ Turf shop.
- Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
- In accordance with the City of Regina's Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provice, a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Division: Citizen Services
Department: Transit & Fleet
Salary Grade: 2I (CUPE Local 21)
Apprentice Rates: (Truck and Transport Garage)
2nd Year $31.68/Hour (Includes $1.50/Hour Market Supplement)
3rd Year $34.33/Hour (Includes $3.00/Hour Market Supplement)
4th Year $36.96/Hour (Includes $4.50/Hour Market Supplement)
Journeyperson Rates: (Truck and Transport Garage)
1st Year $37.33 (Includes $6.00/Hour Market Supplement)
2nd Year $38.46 (Includes $6.00/Hour Market Supplement)
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.
We will contact applicants we wish to consider within six weeks of the competition closing date. All applicants are thanked for their interest.