This job position belongs to Building Maintenance/Custodial occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the Building Maintenance/Custodial occupation skills matrix.
This position operates, services, and repairs mechanical systems and performs a variety of maintenance and custodial duties within City Hall and various outbuildings. This position reports to the City Hall Foreman.
- Will be required to work varying shifts.
- This competition will remain opened until filled.
Typical duties include:
- Operate, monitor, and service an environmental control system.
- Monitor and service facilities emergency systems.
- Perform minor maintenance to buildings and associated structures.
- Perform janitorial maintenance duties and general grounds keeping.
- Respond to facilities related service requests that include but are not limited to furniture moves, room set up, and receiving deliveries.
- Monitor and/or assist services performed by contractors.
- Respond to security, emergency maintenance and repair calls.
- Follow all general rules and regulations of the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual.
- Perform related work as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are obtained through a 5th Class Stationary Engineers Certificate and Refrigeration Engineer Certificate coupled with three years of building operations and maintenance experience including experience with a Steam Plant.
- Must have or be willing to obtain a First Aid certificate and WHMIS certification as required.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and practices common to the operation of facilities operations and maintenance.
- Knowledge of environmental control and facility mechanical systems.
- Ability to interpret and apply relevant legislation and policies related to the operation and maintenance of City facilities.
- Knowledge of safe handling and storage techniques for various chemicals.
- Ability to interpret plans, sketches, blueprints and specifications.
- Ability to accurately prepare and maintain operating logs and service and repair records.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and prioritize work assignments.
- Ability to communicate effectively, courteously, and responsibly with coworkers, City of Regina staff at all levels of the organization, elected officials and the general public.
- Ability to safely and effectively operate a variety of hand and power tools, and equipment relevant to the maintenance and operation of buildings.
- Ability to perform physical duties as required including lifting, bending, stooping, climbing ladders and working at heights.
- Skill and ability to operate a personal computer including Windows based software programs such as Microsoft Word, e-mail, and Electronic Building Management.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and must have the means and ability to travel within the City of Regina (a kilometre reimbursement is provided).
- Will be required to do shift work.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
*Note: In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Division: City Planning & Community Development
Department: Facilities Services
Salary Grade: (CUPE Local 21)
Salary: As a casual labourer, your base wage will be $15.74 per hour, however, the successful candidate will be paid for work performed which typically is $25.57 per hour. (2018 rates)
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.
We will contact applicants we wish to consider within six weeks of the competition closing date. All applicants are thanked for their interest.