This job position belongs to the General Labour occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the General Labour occupation skills matrix.
Duration of the season: Approx. April to November.
You will perform duties relating to the control of waste disposal at the Landfill Site. These duties may be carried out under adverse weather and working conditions. This position performs the functional operation of the scale used to classify, weigh, record and perform cashier duties for various commodities delivered to the Landfill. This position reports to the Landfill Coordinator.
Typical duties include:
- Maintain the operational work areas and weigh scale to operational standard
- Oversee the classifying of materials and weighing of vehicles carrying various types of commodities entering the Landfill.
- Operate the computer to register all loads, weights and commodities delivered to the Landfill.
- Perform cashier duties including handling money, relinquishing change and the issuance of receipts, cash balance and deposits.
- Provide courteous customer service and respond to general inquiries from the public regarding issues related to Landfill Operations.
- Monitor and check loads for unauthorized material and ensure that material to be disposed of is properly classified. Inspect scale tickets to ensure the correct charge is applied for the commodity being disposed.
- Perform general labourer duties in the construction or maintenance areas within the Landfill Operations Branch.
- Operate and maintain equipment and vehicles assigned to the Landfill.
- Load and unload heavy material and equipment.
- Follow all safety regulations and Bylaws regarding the operation of the Landfill Site.
- Performs related work as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- Must have a valid Class 5 driver’s license (Valid Class 1A or 3A driver’s License would be an asset)
- Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities are obtained through the completion of Grade 12 or General Education Development (GED) equivalency.
- Knowledge of weigh-scale operation.
- Experience operating powered mobile equipment and hand tools.
- Knowledge of the general rules and regulations of the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual.
- Ability to perform heavy physical labour over sustained periods in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to work both independently and in an team environment.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Good interpersonal skills with fellow workers and citizens are a must.
- Ability to operate computer equipment and office productivity software such as Excel, Word, etc. to enter and retrieve data, prepare computations, reports and send electronic mail.
Working/Other Conditions: May be required to work shift work and/or irregular hours.
Note: Candidates offered employment will be required to provide a current Driver’s Abstract prior to their start date.
Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
Note: In accordance with the City of Regina's Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Division: Citizen Services
Department: Water, Waste & Environmental Services - Landfill Operations
Salary: As a casual labourer your base wage will be $16.34/hour; however, you will be paid for work performed with a typical hourly rate ranging from $22.41 to $23.57.