This job position belongs to Building Maintenance - Custodial occupation group. Please ensure you create or submit a resume associated with the Building Maintenance - Custodial occupation skills matrix.
This position carries out a variety of routine and light cleaning duties to maintain city-owned buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition. The employee must not disturb work sites and must exercise caution when using cleaning materials. This position reports to the City Hall Foreman.
*NOTE: (1) Will be required to work varying shifts. (2) This competition will remain opened until filled.
Typical duties include:
- Perform sweeping, mopping and vacuuming of floors.
- Empty waste paper baskets, collect trash, pick up and remove excess or broken items, litter, paper and boxes and place into proper containers.
- Ensure washrooms including floors, toilets, urinals, sinks and mirrors are cleaned and sanitized. Restock all dispensers.
- Ensure chemical-based cleaning agents are handled, applied and stored safely.
- Maintain a storage room, storing cleaning materials and equipment and track the usage of materials.
- Replace light bulbs that can be reached without climbing, as required.
- Report deficiencies to property and materials to supervisor.
- Dust furniture, office equipment, filing cabinets, blinds and other objects.
- Operate light cleaning equipment including small floor polishers, if required.
- Wash windows, screens, sills, woodwork, doors, walls, ceilings and floors.
- Lock and unlock doors and turn on and off lights in areas where cleaning is needed.
- Follow all rules and regulations as set out in the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the City of Regina Occupational Health and Safety Manual.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are obtained through one (1) year of related experience.
Knowledge of routine cleaning techniques and procedures.
Knowledge of safe handling and storage techniques for various chemical-based cleaning agents.
Ability to read and understand instructions for the use of cleaning agents.
Ability to execute and understand oral and written instructions.
Ability to follow proper procedures and adhere to a strict work schedule.
Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public.
Ability to work alone and demonstrate a high level of independence and initiative.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
Ability to maintain offices and buildings in a clean and satisfactory condition.
Ability to physically perform cleaning duties including lifting, bending, stooping, climbing ladders and working at heights.
Skill in the use of light cleaning equipment and materials.
The work is performed indoors in generally good working conditions, however, some disagreeable conditions such as dust, odours and noise may exist.
Duties requiring heavy lifting or the operation of heavy cleaning equipment are not performed by this classification.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.