This position will remain open until filled.
In an environment that supports continuous improvement and under the general supervision of an Administrative Assistant, this employee will provide Customer Service and Administrative Support functions relating to the Council Support Branch of the Department. This position has regular access to confidential material relating to business, commercial and community interests, labour relations, negotiations, grievances, financial and personnel matters and sensitive and confidential managerial information shared between City administration, City Council, committees of City Council, community stakeholders, all levels of government and other agencies. This position will also deal with confidential matters with respect to elected officials and their dealings with constituents.
The employee in this position must be able to effectively respond to challenges of work volume and time constraints and be a highly organized team player with excellent customer service skills.
Typical duties include:
- Performs administrative duties including answering telephone inquires, arranging appointments, scheduling meetings, recording and preparing minutes, maintaining a bring forward file for their units as required.
- Answers and responds to customer inquiries relating to the various aspects of the Office of the City Clerk.
- Assists in managing an office administration filing system for the department that includes confidential business such as: sensitive Council and committee reports and minutes, labour relations, negotiations, financial, budgetary and management development information, ensuring appropriate filing, tracking and follow-up correspondence.
- Assists councillors in managing, organizing and coordinating meeting/appointment schedules and emails.
- Assists in the logistic set-up of meetings including ordering meals, etc.
- Codes and files material into a filing system. Archives and retrieves off site files. Maintains word processing document filing as necessary.
- Opens and distributes the department’s mail.
- Operates and maintains a variety of business equipment including the photocopier, fax, scanner and printer, provides support in usage of audio-visual equipment.
- Distributes parking passes.
- Assists in facilitation of training for new clerical staff.
- Responsible for preparing correspondence and seeking out archival materials.
- Responsible for typing and distributing a variety of correspondences related to the confidential business of the department and elected officials.
- Assist with special projects/assignments where administrative support duties are required
- Responsible for developing alternatives and making recommendations for process changes within the scope of responsibility.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
- Grade twelve (12) including standard commercial courses. Minimum typing speed of 50 wpm.
- Two (2) or more years of related experience including customer service and advance word processing along with experience using spreadsheets, electronic mail and related office administration software.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling and punctuation.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, equipment and procedures.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instruction.
- Ability to work well under pressure with constantly shifting priorities.
- Ability to impart information to employees and the public in a clear, accurate and courteous manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with the public and civic employees.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently.
- Skill in the operation of standard office and audio/visual equipment.
- Ability to key required transactions accurately and correctly.
- Ability to prepare accurate and concise minutes of proceedings or meetings.
- Ability to work within very tight time constraints with large volumes of material.
*Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.
*Note: In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
Department: Office of the City Clerk
The City of Regina values diversity in our workforce and encourages applications from all qualified Employment Equity candidates.
We will contact applicants we wish to consider within six weeks of the competition closing date. All applicants are thanked for their interest.